From Viva Carlos, forever giving us content ten questions at a time …
1. What size horse do you prefer to ride? 16hh-17hh, medium to large-bodied. Alternately, the size that jumps. Gaits and scope are way more important factors for me than size.
2. Do you school in tall boots or half chaps and paddock boots? So when I started riding, I wore breeches and tall boots. Then I wore jeans and paddock boots and full chaps with fringe. Then I went to jeans with half chaps and paddock boots. Then to breeches with half chaps and paddock boots. Now I’m back to breeches and tall boots. The circle of life, right there.
3. What do you do with your ribbons after shows? I don’t even remember. It goes like: hang on halter or bridle, take a picture, throw ribbon in trailer, maybe see it again, maybe not.
4. Do you ride/board at a large show barn or a small private barn? How big is large and how big is small? Where I ride, boarding is open to all disciplines, but it is all hunter/jumper or dressage people, and most everybody shows. I’ll call it a medium-sized, competition-oriented barn, but you aren’t required to show if you board there. Based on a recent Instragram convo, maybe it’s actually large?
5. Have you ever seen a horse give birth? Not in person I don’t think. The pregnant mares are always birthing at like 3 in the morning, so I’ve just seen the new baby foal cutie pants hours later. I have seen live cover in person. That’ll make a 12-year-old kid’s eyes pop out of her head.
6. What is your favorite breed? Thoroughbred.
7. Favorite tack brand? Can’t narrow it to just one. Delgrange for saddles, Pessoa for bridles, HS for bits, Tory or Five Star for other strap goods, Beval for the leather open fronts …
8. Would you ever buy used tack? Used saddle, absolutely. Other stuff, not especially, but every once in a while.
9. Ever been on a carriage ride? Probably. Not recently.
10. How often do you go to the tack store? Maybe once or twice a month? Fly spray doesn’t buy itself for me, people.